So finally after all the rumors, speculation and denials – it’s out there in black and white – Google has announced the Google Chrome OS .
This has led to a flurry of speculation of course the biggest being the impact on Microsoft (check out this cartoon by Federico Feini – :-) )
The details are :-
- It would be a custom version of the GNU/Linux kernel.
- The software architecture is simple — Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel.
- It would initially be targeted for use in netbooks.
- It is different from the Android Mobile OS which was designed to target various devices (and form-factors) from phones and set-top boxes to netbooks. The Google Chrome OS would be for people that spend a lot of their time on the internet and will target power computers.
- Plan to release in the middle of 2010.
- It would be open-source so expect code for developers to play sometime soon.
I am for one am going to follow this with much interest and keep my fingers crossed that it works out. If this is anything like Google Chrome – I would be willing to install it and give it a fair shot at becoming my default OS. that being said there is still a long way to go and quite a bit of competition too – especially given that it’s going to be a flavor of Linux, which we know does not suffer from a lack of flavors :-)
Well it looks like that was just a breather – a clearing of the slate for the big guns – Google is back !!